Tax time is so much fun. Not! You probably have a lot of questions about your personal taxes, and you’re looking for someone who can answer those questions and make the whole process easy so you can sleep at night.

If you’re single, employed, and have no investments or other income, you can probably do your own tax return. But the minute you get married, have children, work from home, invest some money, move, or create any number of other situations, everything changes and you need some professional help.

That’s where we come in.

Why Can’t I Just Use an Online Tax Software Service?

Online tax software services are great, but only if you’re willing to spend the time to educate yourself on all your possible deductions and expenses. Otherwise, you may be missing out and paying more tax than you need to, and spending a lot of time on something you don’t enjoy. Take it from one of our clients:

“What a great experience. Have been using online tools and this was 100x simpler than anything I had experienced tax wise. Not only was it quick and easy (a few emails back and forth, sign a couple forms) but my refund was 16% more than I had been quoted by one of those online tools. Why take chances with your personal finances when you can use the best?” — Will S.

Tax Due Dates & Payment Dates

Your T1 personal tax return needs to be filed by April 30 of the following year, unless that date is a weekend. In that case, the return is due on the Monday following.

If you have income from self employment (see below), your return is due on June 15, but you must still pay any amount owing by April 30. (We know, that’s kind of weird.)

Even if you can’t pay the full amount owing, you should file on time to avoid late filing penalties.

Some Common Personal Deductions & Expenses

Registered Pension Plan (RPP) Contributions

RPP contributions can include contributions for both current service and past service under certain conditions.

Child care expenses

You can claim expenses for children up to the age of 16. These expenses can include daycare facilities, nursery schools, day camps and sports schools, and in-home childcare services.

Canada Child Benefit (CCB)

The CCB is an income assistance program that provides monthly tax-free payments based on your family income. You are eligible to receive the CCB if you meet certain criteria, such as total family annual income, and the number and ages of your children.

Dues and Memberships

Dues and membership deductions include:

  • Annual membership dues in a trade union or an association of public servants
  • Professional membership or board dues
  • Professional malpractice liability insurance premiums


Home Office Expenses

If you work from home, part time or full time, for your employer, you may be able to claim home office expenses.

Business Investment Losses

If you have an actual or deemed disposition of a share of, or a debt from, a small business corporation, you are eligible to claim a business investment loss.

Moving Expenses

If you moved at least 40 kilometres to be closer to work or attend a post-secondary institution, you can generally claim moving expenses paid.

Support Payments

You may claim a deduction for support payments paid under a court order or written agreement, provided you have registered the order or agreement with the CRA.

Carrying Charges & Interest Expenses

You can generally claim the following as deductions:

  • Investment management fees or certain advice
  • Tax preparation fees if you have business income
  • Interest on funds borrowed if you use those funds to try to earn investment, interest, or dividend income

T1 Income Tax Filing: Self Employed / Sole Proprietors

Business income or professional income from self employment or your share of a partnership is reported on your T1 income tax return along with any employment or investment income you may have. Business income is reported on Form T2125–Statement of Business or Professional Activities

Expenses that you can claim are as follows:

  • Cost of goods sold
  • Advertising
  • Meals and entertainment
  • Bad debts
  • Insurance
  • Interest and bank charges
  • Business taxes, licences, and memberships
  • Office expenses
  • Office stationery and supplies
  • Professional fees (includes legal and accounting fees)
  • Management and administration fees
  • Rent
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Salaries, wages, and benefits (including employer’s contributions)
  • Property taxes
  • Travel expenses
  • Utilities
  • Fuel costs (except for motor vehicles)
  • Delivery, freight, and express
  • Motor vehicle expenses
  • Capital cost allowance (depreciation)

Making Tax Preparation Easy

Our tax services are virtual so you don’t have to take the time for a personal visit. We have intake forms for different personal situations that allow us to learn everything we need to know to prepare your tax returns accurately and ensure your taxes are minimized.

You can fill and submit the appropriate form, along with all your other documents, in our secure client portal. It’s important that we understand your situation and any changes in your situation from the past year.

If you have a complex tax situation and would like to discuss it, we can meet in person, or virtually over Zoom or Teams.

Behind on Your Tax Filings?

No worries! We make it easy for you to get caught up.

Simply use your CRA My Account to confirm that we are an authorized representative, and we can obtain all relevant information slips from the CRA that were issued to you over the last five years. Think of all the time you would save trying to find all this information.

Ready to Relieve Your Tax Stresses?

Whether you have a fairly basic or complex tax situation, we have the knowledge and experience to help you file an accurate tax return that minimizes your taxes.

Contact us today and start to breathe easy.